You can report suspicious conversations using WhatsApp’s chat moderation tool. The tool aims to reduce spam while also reducing hate speech and disinformation on the platform. While WhatsApp has long allowed users to report contacts, the messaging programme is now allowing users to report individual messages as well. So, to help you better understand how to deal with spam, abuse, and disinformation, we’ve put together a comprehensive tutorial on how to report WhatsApp messages.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Reporting Messages on WhatsApp (2021)
WhatsApp is reportedly testing the option to report individual messages in beta, as first noticed by tipster WABetaInfo. WhatsApp beta version 18.104.22.168 and newer are supported. We’ve also included steps to report a contact, which shares five recent communications with WhatsApp if you’re not using the beta version. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
What Are the Benefits of Reporting WhatsApp Messages?
Unwanted interactions on WhatsApp can be avoided by reporting a message. If you receive a message that is inappropriate or spam, you can report it. When you submit a report, WhatsApp moderators will analyse it and, if the user violates the company’s Terms of Service, they may be banned.
Furthermore, contrary to popular belief, reporting a spam message or contact does not jeopardise WhatsApp’s end-to-end encryption (E2EE) policy. The messaging app sends a copy of the contact’s latest five texts to the person you’re reporting. It does not share the complete conversation history and does not compromise end-to-end encryption.
How to Report Individual WhatsApp Messages:
1. Start a dialogue with the person who sent you the potentially hazardous or spam communication. To see more options, long-press on the message and then tap the three dots menu symbol in the top-right corner.
2. To continue, select the new ‘Report’ option. It’s worth noting that you’ll only see the Report option if you choose a single message. Multiple message reporting is currently not supported, but there is a workaround in the next section.
3. A pop-up will appear, stating that the message will be transmitted to WhatsApp, but that the contact will not be notified. To report a possibly hazardous message, click the ‘Report’ button. By choosing the ‘Block contact’ checkbox on this screen, you can also choose to block the contact.
How to Report a WhatsApp View Once Photo or Video:
WhatsApp just introduced the View Once feature, which allows users to transmit fading photographs and videos. Once you’ve finished viewing the content, the photos and videos will self-destruct. If someone shares potentially sensitive or harmful content with you using View Once, you can now easily report such photographs and videos.
Follow the steps below to get started:
1. Open a communication window and long-press a message that says “View Once.” Then, in the top right corner of the screen, hit the three-dot menu icon. To share the contents of that vanished communication with WhatsApp, select the ‘Report’ option here.
2. Tap the ‘Report’ option once more from the pop-up message to confirm your selection and report the user’s View Once material.
3. Alternatively, while viewing the vanishing photo or video, you can report contacts. Simply select the ‘Report [contact name] option from the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner.
How to Report a WhatsApp Contact or Spam Chat:
If you’d like to report several messages from a chat, opt to report the contact instead. This manner, the person’s last five messages will be transferred to WhatsApp.
1. Open the chat window, hit the three dots menu symbol, and select ‘More’ to begin.
2. Then, from the pop-up that displays, tap on ‘Report’ and then ‘Report’ again. Select the ‘Block contact and remove chat’ checkbox on your end to block the contact and erase the conversation.
Blocking a Contact on WhatsApp is an extreme measure.
It’s necessary to take drastic measures if you’re still receiving spam texts, possibly harmful content via View Once, or other problematic content after you’ve previously reported the WhatsApp contact and their messages. Such contacts should be blocked from WhatsApp, and we’ll show you how to do so right here:
1. Tap the three dot icon in the top right corner to open a discussion. Select ‘Menu’ from the drop-down menu, then ‘Block’ from the drop-down menu.
2. Select the ‘Block’ option from the pop-up menu that opens. You can also use the ‘Report and Block’ option to report the contact again while blocking them at the same time.
3. You may also tap on the contact’s name or phone number at the top and scroll down to the bottom to find the ‘Block’ option.
Easy Ways to Report WhatsApp Messages:
When it’s evident that a message is spam, you might want to report it individually. For other interactions, we recommend that you use the report contact option to report numerous messages at once, which will provide moderators with more context. So, given that it’s still in beta, it shouldn’t be long before the company releases a stable version with the individual message reporting capability. After you’ve reported the message, you may keep utilising all of the best WhatsApp features, including the ability to utilise WhatsApp as two-factor authentication on Instagram.